How do I set up URL redirect for a domain?
You can set up URL redirect to point your domain (e.g. http://yourdomain.com) or sub-domain (e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com) to any destination page of your choice (e.g. http://namecheap.com). Normally, when you set up URL redirect for a domain, it will take effect within minutes.
Please note that you can only set up URL redirect for a domain using Namecheap default nameservers.
You can find more details about different redirect types by this link
In order to set up URL redirect, follow the steps below:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account;
- Choose Domain List in the bar on your left
- Click on Manage option in front of the domain name you wish to set up the URL redirect for
- Click on Advanced DNS > then click on Add records or Manage buttons in front of Host records option
- Input the following details in order to create a URL redirect:
Record Type: choose URL Redirect Record from the drop-down menu
Domain to Redirect: choose SubDomain or This Domain from the drop-down menu depending on your needs
URL Look: choose Both http:// and http://www, Only http:// or Only http://www depending on your need
Destination URL: URL where domain should be forwarded
Redirect Type: choose Permanent (301)
Record Name: here you can name the record as you wish
- Click Save changes
Once done, make sure that this record has been turned on and click Done.
Redirect a domain/subdomain to a website:
1) To redirect a domain without "www" (e.g. http://yourdomain.com) to a destination page, enter your Destination URL and choose Only http:// redirection type in URL Look field as shown in the figure below.
2) To redirect http://www.yourdomain.com (notice www) to a destination page, enter your Destination URL and choose Only http://www redirection type as shown in the figure below.
3) To redirect a sub-domain (e.g. http://subdomain.yourdomain.com) to a destination, you need to enter the sub-domain name, destination URL and select redirection type depending in your need as shown in the figure below.
Redirect a domain/subdomain to specific pages on a website and passing values via query strings:
You can also use URL Redirect to forward users to specific pages on the destination URL and pass values via query strings to the destination. It is important to note that the value in the Destination URL affects where and how the url is redirected.
In the above case, www1.yourdomain.com will not pass values to the destination URL so, www1.yourdomain.com/xyz.html will redirect users to http://destination.com only.
On the otherhand, www2.yourdomain.com/xyz.html will redirect users to http://destination.com/xyz.html (pay attention to the / in the configuration).
In the third case, www3 combines query string values if any and passes it to the destination URL. For example: www3.yourdomain.com/something?a=b will redirect users to http://destination.com/something?a=b&1=2
In the fourth case, www4.yourdomain.com/example?a=b will redirect users to http://destination.com/example/page?a=b&c=d
URL redirect record using both Permanent (301) Redirect and Masked (URL Frame) options will work similar according to the explanations provided above, with the only difference that URL Frame will hide the destination address showing the original one that was entered in the browser address bar.
This is it!
Need any help? Contact us via Helpdesk