How can I change the nameservers for my domain?
To change the nameservers for your domain, do the following:
1. Sign in to your Namecheap account (Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Select Domain List from the left side menu and click the Manage button next to your domain:
3. Find the Nameservers section and select your preferred option from the drop-down menu. Save changes using the corresponding icon:
You can choose from four possible options:
- Namecheap Default - if you wish to point your domain to our default nameservers (v2):
- Namecheap Backup - if you wish to point your domain to our default nameservers (v1):
- Namecheap Shared Hosting - if you have a shared hosting plan with us and wish to point your domain to our shared hosting nameservers:
- Custom - if you wish to point your domain to custom nameservers (for example, your Personal DNS servers or third-party hosting nameservers if your domain is hosted with another DNS provider.
NOTE: Do *not* select ‘Namecheap Shared Hosting’ or input dns1.namecheaphosting.com/ dns2.namecheaphosting.com nameservers unless you have a shared hosting plan with us.
Nameserver changes are not instantly populated globally. Once your nameservers are changed, it may take up to 24 hours (more, in rare cases) for local ISPs to update their DNS caches so that everyone can see your website.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.