How can I change the nameservers for my domain?
In order to change the nameservers for your domain please do the following:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account
- Mouse over Account option in upper right corner of the page and choose Domain List or choose Domain List menu in the bar on your left
- Click on Manage option in front of the domain name you wish to change the DNS settings for
- Choose Advanced DNS from the top menu and click on Edit in front of Domain Nameserver Type option
Here you can choose one of four possible options:
1) Namecheap Default - if you wish to point your domain to our default nameservers (v2):
2) Namecheap Backup - if you wish to point your domain to our default nameservers (v1):
3) Namecheap Shared Hosting - if you have a shared hosting with us and wish to point your domain to our shared hosting nameservers:
4) Custom - if you wish to point your domain to cutom nameservers (for instance, your Personal DNS servers or to the third-party hosting nameservers if your domain is hosted with another DNS provider)
Once the necessary option is picked, click Save changes.
NOTE: Do *not* select ‘Namecheap Shared Hosting’ or input dns1.namecheaphosting.com/ dns2.namecheaphosting.com or dns1.web-hosting.com/ dns2.web-hosting.com nameservers unless you are using Namecheap web-hosting services for your domain.
Once the nameservers are changed, these changes are not accepted instantly all over the world. It may take up to 24 hours (in rare cases more) for local ISPs to update their DNS cache, so that everyone can see your website.
This is it!
Need any help? Contact us via Helpdesk