How can I set up a catch-all (wildcard) subdomain?
A wildcardDNS record is a record that will match requests for non-existent subdomains. A wildcard DNS record is specified by using a "*" as the part of a domain name, e.g., *.example.com.
NOTE: A wildcard DNS record does not cover a root domain (e.g. yourdomain.tld), thus you will need to create a record for @ host additionally.
Also, if a separate subdomain is created, it has a higher priority than wildcard.
If your domain is pointed to our BasicDNS, BackupDNS (a legacy option), PremiumDNS or FreeDNS, this feature is available for you.
A wildcard record can be set up for the following record types: A, AAAA, ALIAS, CNAME, TXT, URL Redirect, MX.
To quickly forward the wildcard subdomain to any link/URL, follow the instructions below:
1. Sign into your Namecheap account. (The Sign In option is available in the header of the page).
2. Select Domain List from the left sidebar and click on the Manage button next to your domain:
3. Find the Redirect Domain section and click on the Add Wildcard Redirect button:
4. Fill in the Destination URL with a link you would like to redirect your subdomain to and check Save Changes:
The catch-all feature can be set up for all types of records. In order to select another record type go to the Advanced DNS tab:
- Find the Host records section and click on the Add New Record button (not able to edit Host Records?):
- Select the Type of your record from the drop-down list, fill in the Host field with a "*" symbol and insert the Value:
- Check the Save Changes button once done.
Normally, it takes 30 minutes for newly created records to take effect.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.