How to set up VPN for Windows
This guide will walk you through the process of setting up a VPN connection on Windows 10. Included are simple steps to get Namecheap VPN and install it on your PC.
Namecheap Windows App
setup starts with launching the app and signing into your Namecheap account or creating a new account:
Once you logged in, enter payment details and confirm your purchase:
To install the app, you can get the links to install your favorite apps directly from the Namecheap VPN website by clicking "Get Apps
Once the app is successfully installed, the Namecheap VPN icon will appear in the Windows bar. Click this icon and sign into your existing Namecheap account:
When signed in you will get the connect screen where you can connect to Best Available location, Favorite locations or expand and see more.
From here you can connect to "Best Available" location or your favorite locations or view more. Note that if you do not have a favorite location you will be able to add your favorite location.
By Clicking the top left arrow or view more you will be taking to the expanded view where you will have more options. Where you can view all locations, add/remove favorite at country or city, connect to country or city.
Here you can favorite a country:
Or favorite a city:
You can have multiple level of connections, either connect at country level:
Or connect to a city location:
Under the Locations tab on the top left you will find the Settings tab:
Under General Settings you will have:
- Kill Switch will disconnect your internet connection when VPN service is not available ensuring your online security.
Note: in the occurrence when Kill-Switch is on and you are not connected to VPN, the ping information cannot be retrieved in such case and what you need to do is:
- Turn off Kill-Switch.
- Connect to VPN.
- Then turn back ON Kill-Switch.
- Startup will ensure the app is launched upon startup.
- Auto-Connect will ensure to connect you to the last connected location automatically. Note in the occurrence that you did not have a previous location setup it will then default to “Best Available” location.
- Customer Support: Allowing you to contact directly our support by clicking the “Chat with a Live Person” link.
- Link to our Rules & Policies.
- Send Feedback: Allowing you to submit feedback from the app.
Under Protocol Settings you will have:
- IKEv2 a 256-bit encryption, secure, stable and mobile oriented.
- OpenVPN also a 256-bit encryption protocol. Strong desktop support and requires third-party software.
- TCP (Transmission Control Protocol)
~ High reliability compatibility
- UDP (User Datagram Protocol)
~ Best for slow connections and transmitting time-sensitive data
- Scramble function allows you to add obfuscation capability to OpenVPN in order to bypass network sensors that detect VPN usage in order to block it.
- Install/Reinstall Tap Driver will install the required third-party software for using OpenVPN
Also note that on all expanded view pages there is the version number of the app that you are using on bottom left.
Under Log Details you will have:
- Track Your User Behavior allowing you privately turning on user tracking logs. They will be visible only to you.
- Data Consumption allowing you to track Downloads and Uploads.
- Log Details to improve your troubleshooting experience.