How do I register personal nameservers for my domain?
If you would like to run your own nameserver you can associate your nameserver's IP address with a personal nameserver using Personal DNS Servers option in your Namecheap account.
You can input the nameserver name and IP address through your account and this information will be submitted to the registry. You need to follow the instructions below in order to set up your Personal DNS servers:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account
- Mouse over Account option in upper right corner of the page and choose Domain List or choose Domain List menu in the bar on your left
- Click on Manage option in front of the domain name you wish to register Personal DNS servers for
- Click on Advanced DNS, scroll down to Personal DNS Servers section and click Add new
- Click to choose the Personal DNS Server type:
- Standard (such as ns1-ns2 or dns1-dns2);
- Custom (any Custom Personal DNS Server).
After that input the IP addresses for your personal nameservers and click Save changes
NOTE 1: This will not automatically point your domain name to the registered nameservers. If you need to switch your domain to this DNS, follow this guide for more details.
NOTE 2: once you have your nameservers registered, please do not forget to create the corresponding A records for them in your domain name zone file. This can be done in DNS or Zone Management menu of your hosting control panel. You might need to contact your hosting company for assistance with setting up the records.
This is it!
Need any help? Contact us via Helpdesk