Upgrades or downgrades between our Stellar Shared Hosting plans involve data transfer between servers.
Depending on the destination plan and your current server, upgrading from an outdated Shared Hosting plan to one of our Stellar Shared Hosting plans will most likely include data transfer as well.
Unless a change in datacenter is requested, upgrades or downgrades between the Reseller Hosting plans do not involve data transferring. Therefore, there isn't any service interruption.
With an average account that complies with our Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) in terms of disk space and inode usage, a data transfer takes approximately 30 minutes. With a datacenter change, however, it usually takes three times longer to migrate the same account.
While the data transfer is in progress, please adhere to the following:
- No changes should be made to your hosting account, as they will not be reflected afterward.
- Your website(s) may show the temporary message: "This account is currently being transferred to another server. Please try later." Until the data transfer is complete and the domain name system (DNS) settings are properly updated and propagated, this message will be shown.
- You may experience inconsistency with email delivery due to the complex changes in your account configuration.
Our Billing Team will happily provide you with the approximate transfer time and schedule the migration for a more convenient time if required.
Tip: To speed up the data transfer, please consider reducing the disk space and inode usage by removing any unnecessary data beforehand.
Downtime refers to the amount of time your website will be unavailable during the migration process.
This downtime mostly depends on your domain name system (DNS) settings. As soon as the data transfer is complete, our technicians will provide you all the necessary details and instructions via the submitted ticket, promptly resolving any issues that may arise.
To finalize the migration process and minimize downtime, some actions may be required from you after the transfer.
For domain names pointed to our WebHosting DNS (dns1.namecheaphosting.com | dns2.namecheaphosting.com), please review the following:
- You don't need to update nameservers after the migration.
- Until the DNS zone is automatically synchronized (within 5 to 30 minutes after the migration), your website(s) will be unavailable.
For domain names pointed to other nameservers, please review the following:
- You will need to manually update the domain(s) DNS settings with the new IP address as soon as possible.
- The IP address update will trigger DNS propagation. Depending on your DNS provider, the propagation time varies (about 30 minutes for our BasicDNS and PremiumDNS.
- Until the above is completed, your website(s) may be unavailable.
Note: Due to the specific server configuration of the business hosting providers, downtime might be significantly extended until our technicians can manually update the transferred hosting account.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Live Chat support or submit a ticket to our Billing team.