Namecheap VPN OpenVPN Setup Linux Ubuntu 18
Before getting started
The following is required for OpenVPN to work on Ubuntu 18:
Choose an administrator-enabled account and login to your main desktop. Select and click the Terminal icon from the screen.
- An Namecheap VPN account (Don't have one? Sign up here)
- An internet connection
- A working installation of Ubuntu 18 (This guide uses Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS version)
- Follow the steps below to configure Namecheap VPN OpenVPN in Ubuntu:
2. You will be redirected to a Terminal window, spawning a new shell, waiting for further input. Confirm that the terminal window is in focus, and enter the following command:
Press the Enter key.
3. Enter the following command in the terminal window:
This will download and save the Namecheap VPN OpenVPN configs zip file from our repository. Hit the Enter key and proceed to the next step.
4. Unzip the configs files into your Documents directory by entering the following command:
Tap the Enter key.
5. The previously entered commands will unzip the downloaded configuration files. It will be shown in the terminal window, similar to what is shown in the screenshot below. Read the output, and report any error messages to our support team
. After the download is complete, and the prompt appears, move to the next step.
6. Next, we need to install a mandatory package required to import and use the OpenVPN config files we downloaded in step 4 earlier. This package will allow us to import the config file(s) via the graphical user interface (GUI) very easily. Installation of the package can be achieved by providing the following command:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-openvpn-gnome
Hit the Enter key and continue to the next step.
7. Type your Ubuntu 18 password and hit the Enter
key. Observe for any error messages in the resulting output, and report them to our support team
for further assistance. Once the prompt appears, the terminal may be closed.
8. Restart network manager by providing the following command:
sudo service network-manager restart
Note: networking will be unavailable until it's fully restarted
9. Navigate to the home screen and click on the Network icon in the top right of the screen as shown below. A menu showing Wired Connected option will appear. Click on the Wired Settings option.
10. Click the Add (+) button below the title VPN and move on to the next step.
11. The Add VPN window will pop-up, click on the drop-down menu and select Import from file… tab.
12. Select your preferred OpenVPN configuration file downloaded earlier from your Documents folder. For our example, we are selecting the 'NCVPN-CA-Toronto.ovpn' item. The servers can be selected based on your preferences. Our server naming format is Country-Location-Server address. Once the configuration file has been chosen, click the Open button in the top-right corner.
13. In the following window, the previously selected OpenVPN config file will have been imported into the Network Manager
as an unsaved session. Confirm the server address in the Gateway field
, and enter your credentials into the Username
: and Password
: fields. Select Store the password for all users
option in the password field. Once you've entered all required details, click on the Add button on top right of the window. Username and password
are available from the Namecheap VPN dashboard
(more details can be found here
14. With your new OpenVPN configuration installed, you should see the newly created Namecheap VPN OpenVPN session listed in the main selection area of the VPN menu. Click the VPN slider switch to activate the VPN to connect to Namecheap VPN.
15. You can also connect or disconnect the VPN from your homescreen as shown below.
To confirm that your IP address has changed to an anonymous and private Namecheap VPN IP, open your favorite web browser and visit http://ip.web-hosting.com
If you need any further assistance, please contact our support team