What is PremiumDNS?
PremiumDNS is our new globally available DNS service which provides you with a 100% service level agreement for DNS resolution. Learn more about Namecheap's PremiumDNS service.
In addition, PremiumDNS can be used with any domain registered at any registrar. Delivered in partnership with Verisign®, this is one of the most cost-effective high-performance DNS services around for the money.
This service provides:
These DNS servers support the same record types as our BasicDNS does:
- 100% DNS Uptime Guarantee
- Better Performance - DNS served from multiple fully redundant, globally distributed Anycast locations
- Advanced DNS DDoS Protection
- Works with any domain at any registrar
- Complete DNSSEC support for DNSSEC-signed TLDs
- Easy to use - for experts and beginners
Several things about PremiumDNS you need to remember
- A record
- AAAA record
- CNAME record
- NS record
- URL Redirect Record (Permanent 301, Unmasked, Masked)
- TXT record
- SRV record
- MX record
- MXE record
1) It is associated with a particular domain at the moment of purchase and cannot be switched to another domain later.
2) It is possible to use PremiumDNS both for the domains hosted with us and for domains hosted elsewhere. You will only need to create the necessary records in the "Advanced DNS" tab and re-point the domain to PremiumDNS servers than.
- So, in case you have hosting with us, but want to use PremiumDNS - you will need to request all the necessary records (such as A, MX, etc.) from our Hosting support team and create them in the "Advanced DNS" tab following this instruction.
- In case your domain is hosted elsewhere, please request all the necessary records from your current hosting provider and create them in the same "Advanced DNS" tab.
3) Currently, there is no possibility to run DNSSEC on the PremiumDNS servers for domain names that are not registered with
For $4.88 a year, your business can take advantage of a secure DNS service.
Each Premium DNS subscription should be associated with a particular domain. It is possible to assign only one subscription to a domain name and it cannot be switched to another domain later.
A subscription can be purchased for 1 - 10 years (for domains registered with us, the term should not exceed the current domain’s expiration date).
You can purchase a subscription along with a domain registration/renewal or from the Product Page.
What happens with a domain if I purchase PremiumDNS for it?
If your domain is pointed to our BasicDNS, once a subscription is purchased, the domain in question will be automatically switched to the PremiumDNS nameservers.
In case your domain is using Custom or BackupDNS (a legacy option), you will need to manually enable PremiumDNS for your domain. Please note that host records will be automatically copied for the domains with BackupsDNS (a legacy option), while for the domains with Custom DNS, you will need to create host records manually (feel free to use this guide).
If your domain is registered with another registrar, you will need to set up the following nameservers after PremiumDNS purchase:
What happens with a domain if a PremiumDNS subscription expires?
This service cannot be reactivated after the expiration, thus, it is needed to buy a new one once it expires.
There is no need to worry if the domain with expired PremiumDNS is registered at Namecheap - all the host records will be copied to BasicDNS, and the domain will be switched to them afterwards.
Please note that if you are using PremiumDNS for a third-party domain and the service expires, you domain will be experiencing downtime after PremiumDNS expiration. In this case, you need to buy a new subscription.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.