How to create an alias for Namecheap Private Email
Email alias is a virtual mail address which acts as a forwarder only. All the mails sent to an alias email address are forwarded and delivered to the existing mailbox this alias was created for.
For instance, if we want email@example.com email address to receive mail sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as well, we need to create the alias email@example.com. As a result, mail sent to either address then appears in firstname.lastname@example.org inbox. The same scheme works for other aliases created for email@example.com.
Every alias you create for the particular mailbox must be unique for all mailboxes within the subscription. For example, it is impossible to create an alias test for both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com mailboxes at the same time.
In order to create alias for Namecheap Private Email mailbox follow the instructions below:
1. Sign in to your Namecheap account.
2. Go to Domain List menu on your left and click caret to expand the list of the associated services (make sure All Products is selected in the top right corner):
3. Look for your Private Email subscription in the list and click on Manage next to it:
4. Scroll down to the mailboxes management section.
5. Select Manage Aliases from the dropdown menu next to the email account in question:
6. Click on Add Alias to proceed to the next step.
7. Enter the name of the alias and click on Save Changes:
Depending on the type of email subscription you have, it is possible to create different amount of aliases:
- with Universal email plan – 10 alias per mailbox
- with Amplified email plan – 50 aliases per mailbox
- with Absolute email plan – Unlimited number of aliases per mailbox
It is impossible, unfortunately, to send emails from the alias email address. To send from the email address, it should be a fully fledged mailbox. If you need more mailboxes (fully fledged email addresses to send from and to), follow this procedure on how to order additional mailboxes.
If you need more aliases, you can set up catch-all option for the mailbox.
Catch-all mailbox will be 'catching' all emails sent to invalid or non-existent address @yourdomain.com, and forwarding such emails to the specific mailbox. It is useful option for those who wish to avoid losing important emails due to misspelling.
However, catch-all has its own drawbacks: it may cause SPAM abuse forwarded to your mailbox as spammers can generate any random email addresses connected with your domain. All emails sent to any of these addresses will go directly to your primary mailbox.
In order to set up catch-all in Namecheap Private email, follow this guide.
Need any help? Contact our HelpDesk