Can I get an OV/EV certificate if I apply as an individual and don’t have a registered organization?
An Organization Validation Certificate can be the best choice in case you want/need to have your Organization/Company name visible for your customers, it will be available on the Site Seals that will be issued along with the Certificate. Unlike Extended Validation Certifcates, this type of Certificates is easy to get validated in case you do not have a registered company.
According to Comodo (now Sectigo CA) Certificate Authority’s policy if you apply as an Individual, the next documents should be sent in a full volume:
- A. Copy of a valid driver's license or passport of the Applicant
- B. Copy of a recent major utility bill (i.e. power bill, water bill, etc.) or bank statement of the Applicant
Note, if the Driver’s License and Passport are not listing any address details or those details do not match the account, then Comodo (now Sectigo) Validation Team requires one of the documents under point A and 2 documents from B.
Note, recent = dated within the last 6 months.
After the documents verification step you will need to pass through a regular validation process for Comodo (Sectigo) OV Certificates:
- Whois Verification (Registrant company name and address)
- DCV (Domain Control Validation)
- Callback to a Verified Telephone Number (to verify an applicant)
Note, the organization address and telephone number can be verified via D&B database, if no other verification resources are available.
Once the OV SSL certificate is installed on the hosting server for the website, the "Full Name of the Individual" will be displayed on the Trust Logo and in the certificate details.
Extended Validation SSL Certificates cannot be issued to individuals, the only exception is possible if you are a Sole Proprietor or have a small business.
Both the Sole Proprietor/Business Owner name and verification are required to validate a non-incorporated business entity for an EV Certificate.
Non-incorporated Business entity
A "Business Entity" comprises the following options:
- General partnerships
- Unincorporated associations
- Joint ventures
- Sole proprietorships
To complete validation process for Business Entity, Comodo (Sectigo) validation team asks to fill the Face-to-Face verification form.
You will need to find legally registered Notary and collect some documents:
1) Government issued photo ID [driver's license OR passport]
2) One Financial institution documents [A bank statement or credit card less than six months old]
3) One Non- Financial documents [Gas bill, Water bill, Power bill ]
4) Business entity registration with listing company name
The face-to-face verification form should be filled and signed by a Notary which is authorized to conduct business in your area/country.
Once you submit the Face-to-Face document, Comodo (Sectigo) validation team will verify the Notary's credentials with the respective registration agency.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to issue EV certificate for Assumed name (Trade name or DBA) only.
According to the extended validation guidelines, Comodo (Sectigo) Certificate Authority will be able to include an assumed name along with a legal name to your SSL certificate. The green bar will show “Assumed name (Legal name) [Country Code]” in this case.
To include DBA name along with legal company name to the green bar, Comodo (Sectigo) Certificate Authority need to verify it through one of the following sources:
• Government database;
• Independent third-party database like Dun and Bradstreet;
• Verified Professional Letter (legal opinion or certified public accountant letter that indicates the assumed name under which the Applicant conducts business, the government agency with which the assumed name is registered, and that such filing continues to be valid).
You can also check information about the EV validation requirements in this Comodo (Sectigo) article.
The EV SSL certificate will show "Assumed/Trade Name(Full Name of the Sole Proprietor/Business Owner)" in the Green Bar, certificate details and on the Trust Logo once installed on the hosting server for the website.