How To: Two-Factor Authentication
Two Factor Authentication (2FA) is an option that adds an extra layer of security to Namecheap account by requiring access to the phone.
Authentication by phone can be used in addition to 1) username + password for login to Namecheap account and 2) username/domain/email address + access to account email address for Password Reset option.
If someone steals or guesses your Namecheap account password, that person cannot log into the account because they do not have access to the phone number associated with the account.
The 2FA option is provided free of charge.
HOW TO ENABLE 2FA?
Please note that 2FA is disabled for account by default.
To enable two-factor authentication:
1) Log in to your Namecheap account;
2) Mouse over your username on top of the page and click Manage Profile:
3) Click on Two Factor Authentication in the left-side menu
4) Click on Begin Setup button:
5) Put your phone number choosing your country code from the drop-down list;
6) The Description number will be created automatically including the last 4 digits of your phone number;
NOTE: You can put something different as Description - anything that will give you an idea about the number. This will make it easier to find a number in case you put a few numbers for 2FA.
7) Choose how you prefer to get the verification code: by SMS or voice call;
NOTE: A voice call takes about 10 minutes while text messages come almost immediately.
8) Enter your Namecheap account password for authorization;
9) Click on Send Verification Code:
a) If you did not get the code, click on Didn't get the code?;
You will get the following page where you will be able to check/update the number entered and re-send the code:
b) If the code is received, please enter it in the corresponding field and click Verify Phone Number:
If the correct code is entered, you will get the following confirmation that 2FA setup is successful:
You can add another phone number by clicking on Add new number and following the procedure as described above.
HOW TO DISABLE 2FA?
1) Mouse over MY ACCOUNT button, click Manage Profile and click Two Factor Authentication in the left-side menu;
2) Click on Turn Off button:
3) Enter your password for authorization and click Turn Off:
4) You will see the following confirmation that 2FA has been successfully disabled:
If you wish to enable the option in the future, you will not need to verify your phone number again provided that existing phone number is not removed.