How can I enable Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an option that adds an extra layer of security to Namecheap account by requiring access to the phone.
Authentication by phone can be used in addition to:
1) username + password for login to Namecheap account and
2) username/domain/email address + access to account email address for Password Reset option.
This way if someone steals or guesses your Namecheap account password, this person cannot log into the account because they do not have access to the phone number associated with the account.
The 2FA option is provided free of charge.
In order to enable Two-Factor Authentication, follow the steps below:
Log into your account
Navigate to the section Profile in the sidebar on your left
- Click on Security menu
- In the section Access you will see the option Two-Factor Authentication. Click on Manage to proceed with the configuration
- Set it to ON to access configuration menu:
- 2FA Method Name - enter the name for this Two-Factor Authentication method
- Verification Method - choose how you prefer to get the verification code - by Text Message (SMS) or voice call
- Phone Number - put in your phone number choosing your country code from the drop-down list;
- Namecheap Password - enter your Namecheap account password for authorization.
- Once all the fields above are submitted, click Next in order to submit the changes.
NOTE: A voice call takes about 10 minutes while text messages come almost immediately.
You can add another phone number by clicking on Add new method and following the procedure as described above.