How can I enable Two-Factor Authentication?
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an option that adds an extra layer of security to Namecheap account by requiring access to the phone.
Authentication by phone can be used in addition to:
1) username + password for login to Namecheap account and
2) username/domain/email address + access to account email address for Password Reset option.
This way if someone steals or guesses your Namecheap account password, this person cannot log into the account because they do not have access to the phone number associated with the account.
The 2FA option is provided free of charge.
In order to enable Two-Factor Authentication, follow the steps below:
Sign in to your Namecheap account.
Select Profile section from the left side menu.
- Choose Security option from the menu that will appear.
- In Access section you will see the option Two-Factor Authentication. Click on Manage button next to it to proceed with the configuration:
- 2FA Method Name - enter the name for this Two-Factor Authentication method.
- Set it to ON to access configuration menu:
- Verification Method - choose Text Message (SMS) from the drop-down list. (The option Voice call is currently disabled).
- Phone Number - put in your phone number choosing your country code from the drop-down list.
- Namecheap Password - enter your Namecheap account password for authorization.
Once all details are inserted, click Next in order to submit the changes.
You can add another phone number by clicking on Add new method and following the procedure as described above.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.