How can I set up a catch-all (wildcard) subdomain?
You can only set up this option for the domain in Namecheap account if it’s using our default nameservers.
In order to setup the wildcard subdomain for your domain, follow the instructions below:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account
- Mouse over Account option in upper right corner of the page and choose Domain List or choose Domain List menu in the bar on your left
- Click on Manage option in front of the domain name you would like to create the wildcard subdomain for
- Choose Advanced DNS from the top menu and click on Manage in front of Host Records option
- On the next page you may add or edit host records for a domain or subdomains. Click Add records in order to create wildcard sub-domain
- Input the following information in order to create a wildcard subdomain:
Record Type: choose URL Redirect Record from the drop-down menu
Domain to Redirect: choose SubDomain from the drop-down menu
Subdomain: fill in this field with a "*" symbol (or "*.sub" for *.sub.domain.com record)
URL Look: choose Both http:// and http://www, Only http:// or Only http://www depending on your need
Destination URL: URL where domain should be forwarded
Redirect Type: choose Unmasked, Masked or Permanent (301) depending on your needs (you may find the difference here)
Record Name: here you can name the record as you wish
NOTE: Catch-all subdomains feature can be set up for all host records (NOT ONLY for URL-redirect as shown in the example above). Depending on the record you need to set up please choose corresponding record type from the drop-down menu.
- Click Save changes
Once done, make sure that this record has been turned on and click Done.
In this specific case we have all the subdomains redirected to http://nctest.info, so that all mistyped or non-existing sub-domain requests would end up on your homepage.
This is it!
Need any help? Contact us via Helpdesk