How can I set up a catch-all (wildcard) subdomain?
Please note that you can only setup this option for the domain if it’s using our default nameservers. You will need to:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account
- Click on your username - it will be on the black bar located at the top of the page
- Click on Manage domains
- Click on the domain name you wish to set wildcard subdomain record for
- Click on All Host Records option in the left side menu (missing All Host Records option?)
- Fill in the Host name field (under Sub-domain settings) with a “*” symbol, put the destination URL in the IP Address/URL field and choose the needed Redirect Type from the drop-down menu.
In this specific case we have all the subdomains redirected to http://yourlink.com, so that all mistyped or non-existing sub-domain requests would end up on your homepage.
Note: Catch-all subdomains feature can be set up for all host records (not only for URL-redirect as shown in the example above). Depending on the record you need to set up please choose corresponding record type from the drop-down menu.