How can I set up a catch-all (wildcard) subdomain?
A wildcard DNS record is a record that will match requests for non-existent domain names. A wildcard DNS record is specified by using a "*" as the part of a domain name, e.g. *.example.com. This feature is available only for domains pointed to our default nameservers.
To quickly forward the wildcard subdomain to any link/URL, follow the instructions below:
1. Sign in to your Namecheap account. (Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Select Domain List from the left side menu and click on Manage button next to your domain:
3. Find Redirect Domain section and click on Add Wildcard Redirect button:
4. Fill in the Destination URL with a link you would like to redirect your subdomain to and tick Save Changes:
Catch-all feature can be set up for all types of records. In order to select another record type go to Advanced DNS tab:
- Find Host records section and click on Add New Record button (not able to edit Host Records?):
- Select the Type of your record from the drop-down list, fill in Host field with a "*" symbol and insert the Value:
- Tick Save Changes button once done.
Normally it takes 30 minutes for newly created records to take effect.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.