How do I authorize FreeDNS?
We advise you to activate FreeDNS service for your domain by email before pointing your domain to our FreeDNS nameservers to keep your website and mail up and running.
In order to proceed with the activation, please follow these steps:
1. Sign into your Namecheap account (The Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Select Domain List from the left sidebar:
3. Click on the caret for your domain and select the Authorize FreeDNS option:
4. In the modal window choose a valid email address and click on the Save changes button :
The system will send a verification email through which you can activate FreeDNS for your domain.
Due to security reasons, an authorization email cannot be sent to any other
email addresses that the ones shown as your authorization email choice
options. Please note that an authorization link is valid for only 48 hours.
NOTE 1: If you are having issues with email verification, feel free to contact Support Team for the assistance.
Once the FreeDNS service is authorized, feel free to manage your host records following these steps:
- Select Domain List from the left sidebar and click on the Manage button next to your domain:
- Click on Advanced DNS at the top of the page. Here you can manage domain's host records, mail settings and enable/disable the Dynamic DNS service:
NOTE 2: Please mind that if you change nameservers on your registrar's side to our FreeDNS without adding any host records at Namecheap, your services will stop running.
Additionally, there will be a downtime of your services for some period of time after the settings are added. Usually, DNS propagation takes 24-48 hours and in some rare cases, it may take up to 72 hours.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.