How do I set my domain to use Namecheap's FreeDNS service
Our FreeDNS service can be used for all domain names registered with another domain registrars except .DE domains. Due to the Registry requirements they are not compatible with .DE domains.
In order to set up your domain to use Namecheap's FreeDNS service please follow these steps:
1. Sign in to your Namecheap account (Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Mouse over Domains at the top of the page and click on Free DNS:
2. Add your domain (yourdomain.tld) or any subdomain (blog.yourdomain.tld for example) to our FreeDNS service at FreeDNS page and click on Get DNS:
3. Clink on the shopping cart icon next to your domain and then click on Set up DNS button:
4. Once you've done so, the following message will be displayed:
After you enroll a domain to use our Free DNS service, you need to change the nameserver settings at your current registrar within 10 days to the following:
We will then try to verify if you have pointed correctly to our name servers by continuously monitoring your domain's DNS settings.
The Free DNS service will be activated once we make sure everything is set properly.
It is possible to activate your domain on FreeDNS without pointing it to out name servers. In order to do so, it is needed to authorize your domain name via the email.
In order to proceed with activation, please follow these steps:
- Select Domain List from the left side menu:
- Click on the caret for your domain and select Authorize FreeDNS option:
- In the modal window choose a valid email address and click on Save changes button :
The system will send a verification email, through which you can activate FreeDNS for your domain.
Due to security reasons, an authorization email cannot be sent to any other
email address that the ones shown as your authorization email choice
options. Please note that an authorization link lives only 48 hours.
NOTE 1: If you are having issues with email verification, feel free to contact Support Team to have your domain(s) authorized manually.
NOTE 2: If you wish to use FreeDNS service as a backup to the existing DNS, add
at least 2 our FreeDNS nameservers to the current DNS of your domain at your
current registrar. For information on how to set up DNS at your
current registrar please check their FAQ documentation. In this case the authorization by email is required.
5. To add all your domain settings (host records, email settings etc.) to your domain, please follow these steps:
- Select Domain List from the left side menu and click on Manage button next to your domain:
- Click on Advanced DNS on the top of the page. Here you can manage domain's host records, mail settings and enable/disable Dynamic DNS service:
NOTE 3: Please mind that if you change nameservers on the side of your registrar to our FreeDNS without adding any host records at Namecheap, your services will stop running.
Additionally, there will be a downtime of your services for some period of time after the settings are added. Usually DNS propagation takes 24-48 hours and in some rare cases it may take up to 72.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.