How do I set my domain to use Namecheap's FreeDNS service
Our FreeDNS service can be used for all domain names (except .DE domains) registered with other domain registrars.
In order to set up your domain to use the Namecheap's FreeDNS service, please follow these steps:
1. Sign into your Namecheap account (The Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Mouse over Domains at the top of the page and click on FreeDNS:
2. Add your domain (yourdomain.tld) or any subdomain (blog.yourdomain.tld, for example) to our FreeDNS service at the FreeDNS page and click on Get DNS:
3. Clink on the shopping cart icon next to your domain and then click on the Set up DNS button:
4. Once you've done so, the following message will be displayed:
After you enroll the domain to use our FreeDNS service, you need to change the nameservers settings at your current registrar within 10 days to the following ones:
We will then try to verify if your domains are correctly pointed to our nameservers by continuously monitoring your domain's DNS settings.
The FreeDNS service will be activated once we make sure everything is set properly.
It is possible to activate your domain on FreeDNS without pointing it to out nameservers. In order to do so, it is needed to authorize your domain name via email.
In order to proceed with activation, please follow these steps:
- Select Domain List from the left sidebar:
- Click on the caret for your domain and select the Authorize FreeDNS option:
- In the modal window, choose a valid email address and click on the Save changes button :
The system will send a verification email through which you can activate FreeDNS for your domain.
Due to security reasons, an authorization email cannot be sent to any other
email addresses that the ones shown as your authorization email choice
options. Please note that an authorization link lives only 48 hours.
NOTE 1: If you are having issues with email verification, feel free to contact Support Team to have your domain(s) authorized manually.
NOTE 2: If you wish to use the FreeDNS service as a backup to the existing DNS, add
at least 2 our FreeDNS nameservers to the current DNS of your domain at your
current registrar. For information on how to set up DNS at your
current registrar, please check their FAQ documentation. In this case, authorization by email is required.
5. To add all your domain settings (host records, email settings, etc.) to your domain, please follow these steps:
- Select Domain List from the left sidebar and click on the Manage button next to your domain:
- Click on Advanced DNS at the top of the page. Here you can manage domain's host records, mail settings and enable/disable the Dynamic DNS service:
NOTE 3: Please mind that if you change nameservers on your registrar's side to our FreeDNS without adding any host records at Namecheap, your services will stop running.
Additionally, your services will be down for some period of time after the settings are added. Usually, DNS propagation takes 24-48 hours, and in some rare cases, it may take up to 72.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.