How can I set up email service for my domain?
If your domain is pointed to our default nameservers, you can configure mail service (and MX records) in your Namecheap account.
In order to set up/change the MX records for your domain, do the following:
- Sign in to your Namecheap account (Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
- Mouse over Account option in upper right corner of the page and choose Domain List or select Domain List menu in the bar on your left:
- Click on Manage option in front of the domain name you wish to set DNS records for:
- Click on Advanced DNS tab and find Mail settings section (not able to edit Host Records?):
Before setting up your mail service, please make sure that there is no CNAME record created for bare domain, e.g. yourdomain.tld in Host records section.
In case you have CNAME record configured for the @ host, email will not work technically. CNAME has the highest priority and suppresses all other records for the host name (including MX Records which are responsible for mail delivery).
Here you can choose one of the following Mail Settings depending on the mail service you wish to use:
1) No Email Service- in case you wish to use no mail service, as a result your domain will not have MX records.
2) Email Forwarding- this option allows you to create personalized e-mail addresses for a domain and forward emails to other email accounts of your choice. The MX records will be set up automatically after picking up this option:
3) MXE record- is used for forwarding mail to an IP address of a mail server:
4) Custom MX option is used to set MX records for third-party mail services, like cPanel webmail service (if you wish to use cPanel mail service with default name servers), Google Apps, Zoho mail, Outlook.com and the others.
5) Private Email - if you wish to set up MX records for Namecheap Private email service. The MX records will be set up automatically after picking up this option:
6) Gmail - if you have a subscription for Google Apps service, Gmail option should be selected to set up the records needed for this mail service:
Once you’ve done so, save changes using the corresponding button.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.