Can I change the main domain name associated with my hosting account?
Yes, you can change the main domain name associated with your hosting account. For that, you can contact our Hosting Support team.
When you contact us, you will need to provide your current domain name and the one you would like to host as well as your hosting account information to verify your ownership:
- Namecheap account username;
- Namecheap Support PIN;
- cPanel username.
NOTE: The domain name you would like to host needs to be registered.
Please note that if the domain name is changed:
- The files of an old domain will be re-assigned to the new domain. This means the new main domain will be pointed to the /public_html folder that may contain your old files of the previous main domain. Some configuration changes will be needed to your website once the domain name is changed.
- Email and FTP accounts will be re-assigned to the new domain.
- The URL references in the database will not be reassigned to a new domain, and this will most likely corrupt the working website and highly developed CMS. The appropriate database changes should be made in this case. How this is done depends on your configuration.
- The contacts and mailing lists from the address book of the email account will not be reassigned to the new domain. You can export contacts with the help of this guide and import them back if necessary.
- If you have an SSL certificate installed for your current main domain, it will not be transferred to the new domain name. Reissue the SSL certificate using this guide. Then, it needs to be re-installed on the server.
- The related Softaculous installations may be affected and backup creating/restoration via Softaculous might be unavailable for the domains in question.
If you have a Reseller Shared Hosting package, the following will also apply:
- Private nameservers for the current domain name will not be transferred to the new one. You will need to register new private nameservers and re-point your resold domains to them;
- If you have WHMCS installed for the current domain name, it will require license reissue after the domain name change.