Which protocol to choose?
Your protocol choices will largely depend on your VPN needs. You can check out the respective pros and cons below:
- Better Reliability – TCP VPN service offers more stable connections as the protocol guarantees delivery of packets
- Slower Speed – TCP features higher encryption methods that tend to slow down transfer rates
- Best for file transfers, emails, and web browsing.
- Faster Speed – suitable for UDP VPN service offers significantly higher speeds than TCP
- Less Reliable – UDP includes error checking (but with no recovery), where delivery of packets are not guaranteed
- Best for video conferencing, gaming, broadcasts, and downloading torrents/p2p.