How to point a domain to Big Cartel
Big Cartel is an ecommerce website builder that allows you to build a free online store, sell in person and run a creative business.
This guide is applicable to the domains which are registered with Namecheap and pointed to our BasicDNS, BackupDNS (a legacy option) or PremiumDNS nameservers (in case your domain is pointed to third-party nameservers, you will need to configure the necessary settings in your account with the hosting/DNS provider).
Mind that custom domains can be used only if you have a paid plan with Big Cartel.
In order to connect your domain to your Big Cartel shop, just follow a few simple steps below:
1. Sign into your Namecheap account (The Sign In option is available at the top of the page).
2. Select Domain List from the left sidebar.
3. Find the necessary domain name in the list and click on the Manage button in front of it:
4. Click on the Advanced DNS tab, find the Host records section and click on the Add New Record button:
Now create the following Host Records for your domain name:
- CNAME Record for the www pointing to your Big Cartel store [name of your store].bigcartel.com (e.g., mybigcartelstore.bigcartel.com);
- URL Redirect Record for the @ forwarding to www.yourdomain.com:
5. Once all the details are filled in, press the Save All Changes button to apply the settings. Normally, the changes take about 30 minutes to get accepted all over the world.
Make sure there are no conflicting records left in the settings of your domain name, e.g., our default parking page records.
In case there are some redundant records left, please remove them by pressing the basket icon as shown below:
Once all the records are set up properly, go to your Big Cartel account to enter your custom domain name:
- Log into your Big Cartel admin panel;
- Add the domain by heading to Settings (1) > Domains (2) ;
- Enter your full custom URL (ex: nctest.info) into the custom domain field;
- Click Save:
It can take up to 24-48 hours for the changes to propagate before your shop becomes visible all over the world.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.