How do I link my domain to my Squarespace account
This guide will help you to link your domain registered with Namecheap to your Squarespace account in a few clicks. This article is for you if your domain is pointed to our BasicDNS, BackupDNS (a legacy option), PremiumDNS or FreeDNS.Please follow these instructions to map your domain to your Squarespace site:
1. Sign into your Squarespace account and click on the site you've already created:
2. Go to Settings (1) and click on Domains (2):
3. Click on the “Use a Domain I Own” button:
4. Enter a full domain name (e.g. "namecheap.com") you’re linking into the Domain Name field and then click on Continue:
5. Click "Connect from provider":
6. Squarespace will detect that your domain is hosted with Namecheap.
Ensure that Namecheap is selected in the drop-down menu and then click Connect Domain:
7. A pop-up window will appear. You need to sign in using your Namecheap username and password:
8. Choose the Allow option:
9. After that, your domain will be linked to your Squarespace site within 24 hours (in rare cases, it can take more time).
When the domain is correctly linked, it will appear in the Domains panel in the Squarespace account with a Correctly Linked label.
There are some cases when a domain name cannot be verified automatically by Squarespace. In this case, you will see the following message:
In this case, you need to manually add necessary records for a domain on Namecheap's side. To get them, return to the previous page and select Other for Domain Provider, then click on the Connect Domain button:
On the next page, select the Can't verify domain ownership option:
Then, you will be able to check the records that should be added for your domain name:
NOTE: If you have a trial Squarespace subscription, please make sure to upgrade it within 14 days after the purchase as your website will not be accessible once the subscription expires.
To add them in the Namecheap account, please perform the following actions:
- Select Domain List from the drop-down menu and click on Manage next to your domain name:
- Navigate the Advanced DNS tab at the top of the page:
- Find the Host records section (not able to edit Host Records?) and create the following ones clicking on the button Add new record. They are:
- A record for @ pointing to 22.214.171.124
- A record for @ pointing to 126.96.36.199
- A record for @ pointing to 188.8.131.52
- A record for @ pointing to 184.108.40.206
- CNAME record for www pointing to ext-cust.squarespace.com
- CNAME record for a unique string pointing to verify.squarespace.com
Once all details are inserted, save them using the Save all changes green button. Normally, it takes 30 minutes for newly created records to take effect.
Please make sure that there are no conflicting records set for the same host and remove them, if there are any. The records you need to check may be of URL Redirect (Unmasked/Masked/Permanent Redirect), A or CNAME record types.
Here is the example of conflicting records:
After your settings have been activated, get back to the Squarespace account and Refresh your settings:
If all settings are verified, the status Record not found will be changed to Correct:
To finish the setup, all you need to do is to publish your website. The corresponding button can be found on the same page at the bottom:
Now your domain is successfully linked to your Squarespace site.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.