VPN or SafeServe (Public DNS) - How to Choose?
In this article, we’re going to explain the differences between the SafeServe and the VPN services provided by Namecheap.
Let’s start with some basic definitions:
- DNS (Domain Name System) is the system that is used to translate human-memorable domain names like namecheap.com and hostnames like support.namecheap.com into the corresponding numeric Internet Protocol (IP) addresses as well as to identify and locate computer systems and resources on the Internet.
- SafeServe is a recursive DNS service that replaces the user's Internet service provider DNS settings and directs all the queries to be going through the SafeServe DNS, not ISP's DNS system.
- VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a private network connection which is using a secure tunnel to protect user’s online activity and identity. When you use VPN service, your Internet traffic and data are encrypted. This private connection cannot be de-crypted by other agents, such as the Internet service provider (ISP) or websites in general.
Each service is useful for particular cases and it’s more reasonable to talk about them as of two different services rather than competing ones. Let’s have a look at each of them.
How Does SafeServe Work?
SafeServe is a recursive DNS
which replaces the DNS settings provided by your ISP. Basically, this type of DNS connects the domain names (words) people use, with corresponding IP addresses. SafeServe supports DNS over TLS
which adds a security layer to all the DNS queries sent/requested via this SafeServe.
When you connect to any website via your mobile or laptop, it's your ISP who chooses DNS service to work with. Thus, they handle all the DNS requests (which take place when you attempt to connect to a website) which means they control those DNS queries. But the cool story is that you, in your turn, can choose a different DNS provider which will be your resolver to all the websites. When you properly configure SafeServe, all your connections will go through it. This service can be set up manually at your device.
Why use SafeServe?
- Total DNS security across the world with TLS (Transport Layer Security) protocol. SafeServe will decrease the risk of the DNS attacks such as Man-in-the-Middle.
- Stay secure using public networks.
- Configure at any device (computer, mobile, router) just free of charge.
- Hide your DNS queries - we won’t log any personal or identifiable data.
How Does VPN Work?
The Namecheap VPN app works by establishing a secure encrypted connection between your device and VPN servers and sending data through it to the internet. Since this tunnel is encrypted, your data is transformed into an unreadable code until reaches its end destination. Encryption hides information in such a way that it cannot be read without a very strong password, which is known as a key. Only your device and the VPN server know this key ensuring the data is readable at the end destination.
Your device will be seen on the same local network as your VPN Server, this means your IP address will be the same as your VPN’s provider server.
Why use VPN?
- Secure your data and keep your browsing private.
- Unblock restricted sites and content.
- Hide your IP address and browse anonymously.
- Download files and stream in private.
- Stay secure on public Wi-Fi.
- Save money when shopping online, as prices based on country of purchase can vary.
So, SafeServe or VPN – Which One to Choose?
Both services can help you enjoy a better online experience, but they do it in different ways. It’s all about your needs as not everyone has the same priorities, or uses the internet in the same way.
SafeServe and VPN services keep you safe online by rerouting your traffic through an encrypted server.
Therefore, the choice between the two depends on your purpose of usage.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact our Support Team