Namecheap DNS limits
If your domain name is pointed to our BasicDNS, PremiumDNS, BackupDNS (legacy option) or FreeDNS, host records are managed in the corresponding section of the Advanced DNS tab in your Namecheap account.
Our nameservers support the following types of host records:
- Unmasked temporary (302)
- Wildcard subdomain
- A Record
- AAAA Record
- ALIAS Record
- CNAME Record
- MX Record
- TXT Record
- SRV Record
- NS Record
- CAA Record
- URL Redirect Record
- Unmasked permanent (301)
- Masked (frame)
If you need to set up SPF, DKIM, or DMARC records, this can be done by setting up a TXT record with the corresponding values.
In total, it is possible to create up to 150 records for a domain, including A, AAAA, ALIAS, CNAME, MX, SRV, TXT, NS, and URL records.
If you try to create more than 150 records, the following error will be displayed:
Each field of the host record has length limits depending on the record type.
For ALIAS, CNAME, NS and URL Redirect records, the limits are as follows:
- For the Host field: 60 symbols (including digits and characters);
- For the Value field: 255 symbols.
For TXT records, the limit for the Host field is 60 symbols (including digits and characters), while for the Value filed - 2500 symbols.
The system explicitly checks the format of both A and AAAA records, so they have to be in the following format:
- For A record: 4 octets separated by dots, for example, 18.104.22.168, (15 symbols in total);
- For AAAA record: eight groups of four hexadecimal digits with the groups being separated by colons, for example, 2001:0db8:0000:0042:0000:8a2e:0370:7334, (32 symbols in total).
For SRV records the following limitations are applied:
- Service field: 29 symbols;
- Protocol field: 29 symbols;
- Priority field: 3 digits;
- Weight field: 5 digits;
- Port field: 5 digits;
- Target field: 29 symbols.
For custom MX records:
- Host field: 60 symbols;
- Value field: 60 symbols;
- Priority field: 3 symbols (with maximum value of 255).
For CAA records
, the detailed description of the values and how-to guide can be found here
For MXE records it is possible to enter the IPv4 address only, thus it would be 12 digits split by dots:
When it comes to registering personal nameservers, in your Personal DNS section, the maximum field length is 63 symbols, including dots. The maximum length of the private DNS string is 80 symbols in total:
For our Free email forwarding feature, you can create up to 100 aliases. The message size has to be up to 20 MB.
NOTE: Emails with certain attachments may be blocked on our email server due to security reasons.
Maximum field lengths for a forwarding mail box are:
- Alias field: 50 symbols;
- Forward to field: 70 digits (hostname):
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team