How to connect a domain to Mailgun
Mailgun is an email automated service that allows you to send, receive, and track emails sent through your websites and applications. It also helps to manage emails for marketing and other tasks.
This guide can be used in case your domain is pointed to our BasicDNS, BackupDNS (a legacy option), PremiumDNS or FreeDNS. If your domain is using other nameservers, it’s necessary to make changes on the side of your hosting/DNS provider.
Please follow the steps below to verify and configure your domain name:
Step 1. Set up a domain name in your Mailgun account.
Step 2. Create necessary records for your domain name in your Namecheap account by doing the following:
- Sign in
to your Namecheap account
- Select Domain List from the left navigation sidebar and click on the Manage button that appears in front of your domain name:
- Now click on the Advanced DNS tab and locate the Host Records section. Use the Add New Record button to add the required records (are you unable to edit host records?):
Here you will need to create 5 records for your domain name that are to be obtained from your Mailgun account:
- In the Host Records section, you will need to add the following ones:
- 2 TXT Records that are required for email verification.
- 2 MX records for your bare domain name (@)/your subdomain (depends on your configuration of Mailgun service - for the main domain or subdomain).
- CNAME with values provided in the Mailgun account for tracking clicks and opens.
- Once all the details are filled in, press the Save All Changes button to apply the settings:
- In the Mail Settings section, select the Custom MX option and create 2 host records for your subdomain pointing it to mxa.mailgun.org and mxb.mailgun.org with 10 Priority:
This is how your records should look like:
- Once all the details are filled in, press the Save All Changes button to apply the settings
Step 3. Please make sure there are no conflicting records (A, CNAME, URL redirect records with different values but set for the same hosts) for your domain name.
In case there are some conflicting records left, please remove them by clicking the trash icon:
PLEASE NOTE: These changes will take effect within 30 minutes.