To set up L2TP VPN on Linux Mint, you will need:
- A FastVPN account (Don’t have one? Sign up here!);
- A working installation of Linux Mint (this guide is based on version 20.1 with the Cinnamon DE);
- An internet connection;
- Access to your FastVPN account panel in order to get your network credentials and server list.
Follow the steps below to configure FastVPN in Linux Mint:
First, you need to install the L2TP module. Choose an
administrator-enabled account and login to your main desktop. Click the
Linux Mint start button on the taskbar in the bottom left of your screen
and open Terminal:
Type the following commands one by one:
sudo apt-get update
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nm-l2tp/network-manager-l2tp
sudo apt-get install network-manager-l2tp network-manager-l2tp-gnome
sudo apt-get install xl2tpd
Once done, logout/login is required (or you can also restart the system).
2. Click the Network icon in the bottom right of the screen and select Network Settings:
3. In the Network section, click the + button and move on to the next step:
4. Choose "Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)" as your connection type:
5. When a new window appears, fill in the fields as given below:
- Connection name: enter a desired name for the connection
- Gateway: enter the PPTP or L2TP server address of the location/server that you wish to connect to from the FastVPN Account Panel (e.g. mel-a07.vpn.wlvpn.com)
- User Name: FastVPN Account Username from the FastVPN Account Panel
- Password: FastVPN Account Password from the FastVPN Account Panel
Once entered, click the IPsec Settings... button.
5. In L2TP IPsec Options, put the check mark next to "Enable IPsec tunnel to L2TP host" and enter the following pre-shared key: vpn
Then click on OK.
6. Next, click the L2TP PPP Settings button and use the following settings:
- Check the MSCHAP box
- Check the MSCHAPv2 box
- Check the Allow BSD data compression box
- Check the Allow Deflate data compression box
- Check the Use TCP header compression box
Click OK and Add.
7. Now you are ready to use your connection. Click on the Network icon from the tray area and in VPN Connections section and select your L2TP VPN connection:
connection will start and soon will be established. If the VPN
connection is successful, you will get a message as shown below:
If you need any further assistance, please contact our Support Team