This tutorial will walk you through configuring Namecheap VPN in ASUSWRT using the OpenVPN and will allow you to establish a permanent VPN tunnel from your Asus RT-AC68U router.
H2: Before Getting Started with OpenVPN
Below provided are the basic requirements to configure Namecheap VPN on ASUS RT-AC68U:
ASUS RT-AC68U router connected to the Internet
H2: Configuring the Namecheap VPN OpenVPN Client
The following are the step-by-step processes involved in configuring the VPN:
1. Log in to the router control panel by entering the router’s default IP address 192.168.1.1 to the address bar of your preferred browser (If you changed your router's default IP address, enter that into your browser instead). While connecting using 192.168.1.1, the URL may change to router.asus.com due to the default DNS configuration specified in the router.
2. Sign in to the router using your router's administrator login name and password.
3. You will be redirected to the default setting of the ASUS RT-AC68U router (router.asus.com). To configure Namecheap VPN OpenVPN, navigate to VPN under Advanced Settings on the menu on the left.
4. Select VPN Client at the top and click on Add profile
5. Select the OpenVPN tab in the window that appears. Provide a description (This will be the displayed name in your list of available VPN connections), and enter login credentials as required in the tab. Replace “email@example.com” and “**********” with your Namecheap VPN username and password.
6. To complete the configuration, upload a config file that defines the settings or preferences for the OpenVPN connection.
**Note: If you are running openVPN 2.3 and older you will need to apply the following change in the .ovpn file.
Change: "compress lzo" to "comp-lzo yes"
7.Click the Upload button to upload the OpenVPN config file of the required server.
8. Click Activate to establish your new OpenVPN connection to Namecheap VPN in ASUSWRT.
Verify the Namecheap VPN OpenVPN Connection is Working
9. Click the Activate button to confirm your connection. The appearance of a blue check mark in the Connection Status will confirm that your new Namecheap VPN OpenVPN connection is connected and active.
10. Click on Add profile button and repeat the steps from 6 and 7 to add more preferred servers.
11. If you see an X icon under the Connection Status, this is an indicator that something is not configured properly in the connection settings.
12. To fix the problem, repeat the setup above and double check the user name, password and other inputs provided. If it doesn’t fix the issue, navigate to the router’s log. The System Log will provide the log of the VPN connection process. You can share the log file with our support team to troubleshoot the issue.