Email accounts setup in MacMail (SMTP/IMAP/POP3)
Thank you for visiting Namecheap Knowledgebase!
This tutorial shows you how to set up Apple Mail to work with your Namecheap Private Email email account.
We will use a test email account firstname.lastname@example.org to show you what to do. Before proceeding with the Apple Mail setup, you need to make sure that you have created a mailbox.
To Set Up Your Apple Mail:
1. From the Mail menu, select Preferences.
2. Go to the Accounts tab, and then click the plus sign(+) at the bottom of the Accounts box.
3. In the Add Account window, enter your full name, email address and email password.
4. In the Incoming Mail Server screen, select POP or IMAP from the Account Type list, and enter your details as follows:
Description: The name of your account.
Incoming mail server(POP or IMAP): mail.privateemail.com
User Name: Your full email address.
Password: Your email account password.
5. In the Outgoing Mail Server screen, enter your details as follows:
Description: The name of this mail server.
Outgoing mail server: mail.privateemail.com (same as incoming)
Check the ‘Use only this server’ box.
Check the ‘Use Authentication’ box, and then enter your Email Address in User Name field and your password.
6. You will see an Account Summary with all your details. Please check “Take Account Online” box and click Create.
When you create and send your first email, a message saying "Change prefix to INBOX" appears. Please set to "Don't change"
Once your account has been created, you will be able to choose additional settings for IMAP or POP3 incoming/outgoing server.
For outgoing server (SMTP):
1. Under ‘Accounts’ click on your account. In ‘Account Information’ please find: ‘Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP)’ field, and then select “Edit SMTP server list…” option.
2. You can choose the server that you use for this account and specify the port you need.
Note: Outgoing server (SMTP): please select port 465 with SSL.
To enable/disable SSL, please select or de-select “Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)” box.
For incoming server (IMAP/POP):
IMAP: Under ‘Accounts’ click on ‘Your Account’
Click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
In the ‘Port’ box: Enter the port number 993(with SSL), or 143 (without SSL), and select “Use SSL” when applicable
In the Authentication drop-down menu: choose Password.
Note: When entering the port number, please use 993 for SSL, and 143 without SSL.
For POP: 995 with SSL and 110 without SSL
IMAP: Under ‘Accounts’ click on Your Account.
Click on ‘Advanced’ tab.
In the ‘Port’ box: Enter the port number 993 and select “Use SSL”. If SSL is not being used, enter the port number 143 and do not select ‘Use SSL’
We hope that you have now managed to set up email for your MacMail client successfully.