How do I register personal nameservers for my domain?
If you would like to run your own nameserver you can associate your nameserver's IP address with a personal nameserver using Personal DNS Servers option in your Namecheap account.
You can input the nameserver name and IP address through your account and this information will be submitted to the Registry.
Your private nameservers for your domain can be registered in the following way:
1. Sign in to your Namecheap account (Sign In option is available in the top hat of the page).
2. Mouse over Account option in upper right corner of the page and choose Domain List or select Domain List menu in the bar on your left:
3. Click on Manage option in front of the domain name:
4. Click on Advanced DNS tab and find Personal DNS Servers section > click on Add Nameserver button:
5. Select hostname of your server from the drop-down menu for Nameserver and assign an IP address (IPv4 one) to it:
6. After that click on Done button.
NOTE 1: Currently it is possible to register a server with IPv4 address only through the Namecheap interface. If you would like to register it with IPv6 address, please contact our Support Team for the assistance.NOTE 2: This will not automatically point your domain name to the registered nameservers. If you need to switch your domain to this DNS, follow this guide for more details.
NOTE 3: Once you’ve registered your nameservers, please do not forget to create the corresponding A records for them in your domain name zone file. This can be done in DNS or Zone Management menu of your hosting control panel. You might need to contact your hosting company for assistance with setting up the records.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact our Support Team.