Namecheap Moves .UK domains to a New Platform
To all our .uk domain customers out there, we know it’s been a bit of a bumpy road recently. Not being able to register or transfer some of your ccTLD domains for over a month was undoubtedly frustrating and, in our eyes, simply unacceptable.
After parting ways with Enom (our previous upstream provider), we’re more than a little excited to announce a new change—one we think you’ll really like and trust.
Building A New Future with .UK Domains
At Namecheap, we’ve always been committed to providing you with the best service possible. That’s why in early June, when Enom began experiencing global difficulties with registering and transferring .uk domains, we knew we had to step in and do something about it. Although these issues were caused by the recent GDPR changes, they deeply affected you and in return, affected us.
Immediately we took initiative and began working with the UK-based Nominet, one of the world’s largest registry service providers. After several weeks of successful cooperation, we partnered up with them and start processing domain registrations and transfers to our very own platform.
A Change… for the Better
Here’s just a glimpse at some of the new changes you will enjoy:
- Your UK contact information can now be directly managed within your Namecheap account—for free. In other words, there is no need to reach out to Nominet to make any changes with your registry administration, which charges a £10 fee plus VAT.
- Free-of-charge domain transfers. (Please note that domains are not renewed in the process, so if a domain is transferred close to its expiration date, it will still need to be renewed manually.)
- For all registered domains, Whois information is no longer public information.
- Previously-required attributes, such as legal type and miscellaneous documents, are now entirely optional.
Looking Towards the Future
Partnering up with Nominet gave us that much-needed light at the end of a dark tunnel. Not only does this new relationship allow us to fix the issues you were experiencing but also gave us the opportunity to reestablish our dedication and service we provide to you.
Stay tuned for even more TLDs that go direct (think .ca, .eu, .de and many more). We hope these changes will to keep you, our valued customer, completely satisfied.
And don’t forget—you can search for all of your favorite domains at Namecheap.
– 3 months .uk domains have not been able to be transferred. – Customers who already changed their IPS tag to ENOM have their domains stuck in limbo with Nominet not able to accept the transfer, ENOM themselves not able to see the domain and previous registrars not able to reverse the process. This meant applying to Nominet for the IPS tag to be changed to something else which attracted a fee of £12 (inc. VAT). If you’re still stuck in limbo you can live chat with Nominet and explain the issue as they have allowed me to change IPS… Read more »