Why You Should Choose a Website Over Facebook
Did you know that over 40% of small businesses don’t have a website?*
There are many reasons companies choose not to create a website. For example, many small business owners can’t afford to pay someone to build their site, and their lack of time and technical expertise make it less likely they’ll build one themselves.
Instead, some businesses opt to build a Facebook page or utilize other social media as their main online presence instead of creating a website.
But having just a Facebook page can mean lost business and added headaches. And it’s now easier and cheaper than ever to create a website.
Facebook Isn’t the Best Solution
While Facebook pages are an easy way for many small business owners to build an online presence, there are many reasons why this isn’t the best solution for most businesses.
- The URL you’ll need to give people to access your page is very long, in the format of Facebook.com/alotoftext.
- You don’t get email with a Facebook page, so you won’t have a professional email address to put on your business card. People who rely on Facebook tend to give out Gmail, Yahoo, or even Hotmail email addresses to customers and clients.
- Without a website, you give the impression that you don’t take your business seriously.
- Facebook only shows your posts to some of your customers and fans. You have to pay advertising fees to reach more of them. So while pages are free to set up, building an audience costs quite a bit of money on an ongoing basis.
- You don’t actually “own” your web presence; you are at the mercy of Facebook and the decisions it makes to boost its bottom line.
- You can’t reach customers who don’t use Facebook.
The bottom line: if you want your business to grow and be successful, a dedicated website is the best solution. And once you build your site, you can link it to your Facebook page to build your audience twice as fast.
Building a Website is Easier Than Ever
Fortunately, the process of building a website takes less time, costs less, and is easier than ever, so there’s no excuse not to have your own website.
Namecheap makes it easy to build a website and get a professional email address. We offer a variety of affordable hosting packages, and if you want to build with WordPress, check out EasyWP, Namecheap’s managed WordPress hosting option that makes setting up a new WordPress website quick and simple.
And for those new to creating a website, we have a friendly tutorial that will help you build your website in no time.
An Intermediate Step
While you’re building your website, here are two tips to get the most out of Facebook without being locked into the Facebook platform.
- Register a domain name for your business and forward it to your Facebook page. It’s much shorter, easier to remember and will look good on your business card. When you decide to build your own website you already have a domain name your customers know about.
- Set up professional email on your domain name. At Namecheap, you can set up email hosting for as little as $9.88 per year.
So what are you waiting for? With our services, you can get a new website up and running before you know it.
* Businesses with revenue under $1 million/year Clutch Small Business Websites in 2017 survey.
Last updated 4 October 2021.