Namecheap 4th Annual Holiday Twitter Trivia Contest - Free Domains Every Hour
It's the holiday season, and we'd like to celebrate! Namecheap is hosting its fourth annual Holiday Twitter Trivia contest, for 10 days of fun via our Twitter account!
The object of the Holiday Twitter Trivia Contest is simple: Simply follow us on Twitter and answer our trivia questions correctly. We’ll post a new question any time during the hour every hour. Five domains will be awarded hourly to winners who answer the questions correctly.
But that's not all, folks! We’re giving away prizes to the individuals who answer the most questions correctly over the course of the competition. Ten winners will be eligible for the grand prizes that will consist of ten 16GB WiFi iPad 2s. Prizes will be given to the three top-scoring winners across the course of the competition and seven others selected randomly in the our top 25.
What is Twitter?
Twitter is a free online service that lets people communicate and connect with one another. Twitter asks you “What’s happening?” and relies on you to answer that question in a 140-character area. Through Twitter, you can connect with long lost friends, your favorite domain name registrar, or find new friends. Twitter can be accessed from a web browser, a mobile phone, or anywhere you are. Learn more about Twitter from this video or this introductory post from Zappos here.
Participation in our Holiday Twitter Trivia Contest is simple.
Sign up for a Twitter account (https://twitter.com/signup) and then follow us http://twitter.namecheap.com/ (our username is @namecheap). We will be posting one riddle every hour from December 15th through December 24th (beginning midnight on December 15, 2011 Eastern Time, -0500 GMT), but this time, the question can be asked at any time during the hour! Five people who reply to the tweet with the correct answer gets a $10.16 credit to their Namecheap account. It’s really that simple.
Here's an example:
- Namecheap (@namecheap) will send out a Tweet (that is a Twitter message) saying “I always thirst, yet never hunger. I wear a hat in the summer heat, but when the cold winds blow, my head is bare. What am I?"
- You must prefix your answer on Twitter with @namecheap, so you'd respond with "@namecheap a tree" or "a tree @namecheap".
The @ symbol brings the message to our attention. If that's not present, we won't see it! If you're the first person to answer correctly, we will send $10.16 for a new domain or renewal directly into your Namecheap account. Four other winners chosen at random will win the $10.16 domain name credit as well.
As a note, we have taken great care in covering every possible answer possibility. We are limited to Twitter’s toolset and will award domain credits and points accordingly. Answers that do not follow the outlined conventions may not be collected and points will not be awarded.
How do I win and redeem my domains?
If you are the first person to answer correctly*, we will send $10.16 for a new domain or renewal
directly into your Namecheap account. Four other winners chosen at random will win the $10.16
domain name credit as well, so don’t give up if you’re not the first!
* You are only eligible to win a domain once per day.
We will then announce the winners and answers on Twitter.
To claim the credit, you should link your Namecheap account to your twitter account. That process is simple:
Log into your Namecheap account (if you don’t have one, you can create one for free at https://www.namecheap.com/signup.aspx - there is no credit card necessary).
After you log in, go to ‘My Account’ > ‘Manage Profile’ and choose the “Twitter integration” link on the left (https://manage.www.namecheap.com/myaccount/modify-profile-twitter.asp).
Enter your Twitter username and click “verify.”
A short code will be sent from Namecheap to your Twitter account using a direct message (a message that no one else but you could see). Note: unless you follow us (@namecheap) on Twitter, we will not be able to send you that code. (There is another option available for validation that will be shown on the integration page as well.)
Enter the code on the confirmation page. That will complete the integration process.
Once linked, you’ll see a credit on your Namecheap account within a few hours after your winning. You’ll be able to register domains, purchase WhoisGuard, or save up for hosting or SSL certificates.
If you have changed your Twitter name and need to update it in our system, please open a support ticket and someone will be able to help you.
Three trivia participants with the most correct answers will win an Apple iPad 2 16GB WiFi*. Up to seven random winners in the top 25 (in the event of tie) will also be awarded Apple iPad 2s.
You do not have to be the first person to answer the question in order to be eligible for the grand prizes. You can answer as many questions every day (within the hour) in order to add to your tally of correct answers. Answer as much as you can for your chance to score some of the hottest gadget of the season!
(Please note that you must be present within the hour for your answer to be counted. You cannot answer a question asked at 11:00am at 4:00pm as it will not be counted toward the final tally.)
As always, thanks for choosing Namecheap for your domain name registrar and web hosting needs!
Follow us on Twitter to learn more about our deals, promotions, and to participate in our contests. Alternatively, follow us on Facebook for updates about contests, support, and more!
Here are some Rules
- To encourage more participants to play, each contestant can win only one domain per day. Remember though -- to be considered for the iPad, it is to your advantage to keep playing!
- Your Twitter account must be publicly viewable during the time you participate in this contest. If your tweets are protected, we have no way of tallying your answers.
- Anyone caught using bots to game the contest will be automatically disqualified from this promotion and all subsequent contests, and will relinquish their earnings. This is supposed to be a fun contest for everyone. To report a suspected bot, please email contest AT namecheap.com.
- Only one participant per household can take part in the contest.
- Only use one Twitter/Namecheap account per person/location. Any suspicious activity connecting one user to multiple accounts will result in disqualification and removal of any earned credits.
- Grand prize winners of previous Namecheap contests are ineligible to win any of the grand prizes in this contest.
- Providing two possible answers in a single tweet is grounds for disqualification from this and all future contests. You are asked to use your best judgment and provide one single answer. Your first answer is always final, so deleting the tweet will not count. However, if you provide an answer like "@Namecheap $55 or $32," you will be disqualified.
- VERY important note: if you answer AFTER the top of the hour, your answer will NOT be counted. You MUST answer before XX:00.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I see my score if I am not on the leaderboard?
Unfortunately, given the number of participants in this contest, there is no way to see your score if you are not on the leaderboard.
Sometimes the last question of the day does not have an answer. Why?
We are aware of this; the answers may be delayed by a few hours. Feel free to check back later in the day since it will be updated.
Can you go back and review my answer?
Because we have hundreds of answers per question, we're unable to review individual answers.
The answer you provided is very wrong! Can you change it?
The answers we have are final, but we will review your feedback so that we can improve upon our trivia for next time. We're sorry if some of these questions are not 100% perfect; we can never anticipate the answers before the trivia starts.
Does spelling count?
Does capitalization count?
My answer didn't count. Why?
You should answer the question as soon as possible. If you answer too close to the next question being asked, our system unfortunately is unable to record the answer.
I was first. Why didn't I get my credit?
Being first is not necessarily determined by the first answer in Twitter search. We are using Twitter's API and the data apparently does not match. The first person likely was not found in Twitter search; you can check this by looking at the winners and finding out which one doesn't show up in Twitter's search results.
How do you select winners for domain names?
In this competition, there are 5 winners: the first person who answers correctly and four people who answer correctly are chosen randomly.
Someone won 2 domains in the same day! How is that possible?
Days are determined on the Eastern Standard Time calendar. It is actually possible to win a domain at 11:00PM EST (23:00) and then at 12:00AM EST, one single hour later.
It looks like I have not won a domain. What gives?
The system is *totally* automated when selecting the random winners. Your best chances of securing a domain name is by answering correctly first.
Can I answer twice?
No, only your first answer to @namecheap is counted after the question is asked. Therefore, if you ask Namecheap a question about your (future) answer, it is counted! Please use your best judgment.
When are questions asked?
They can be asked anytime during the hour. You are asked to answer that question during the hour to avoid any loss of points. For example, if a question is asked at 7:20, you should answer no later than 7:59.
I have not gotten my credits yet. Why not?
We ask that you link your Twitter account to your Namecheap account *before* you start to play. Otherwise, we have to manually process this request. You can email contest AT namecheap DOT com with your Twitter ID and we'll take care of it.
I found someone violating the contest. How can I report it to you?
Please email specific details to contest AT namecheap DOT com. Please note that we review all complaints but are unable to disclose the outcome of our investigations.
If you have any questions about the competition, please email contest AT namecheap . com.
* The equivalent cash value may be substituted based on availability. We cannot ship these products to non-US residents (due to Apple Store restrictions). Cash equivalent will be paid by PayPal only. Please ensure that you have a valid PayPal account and that you can accept incoming payments. Alternatively, the equivalent cash value can be deposited into your Namecheap account upon request.
** The Apple iPad 2 is the 16GB WiFi edition valued at $499.